Saturday, November 22, 2014

Daguerreo photo base


I'm sorry that blogging yesterday didn't happen, I had the best intentions, but the day turned out to be really long and hard, and I fell asleep when I got him, knowing I was going to hockey practice later from 22.00-23-00, oh dear.... I know, it's crazy. But I had a good nights sleep, the sky is almost blue, and I have a real treat for you today. The daguerreobase is a photo base with pictures from contributors all over Europe; museums, archives, libraries and also private collectors. You can search the photos and get a unique glimpse of the past, made by the first photographers in Europe. 

What is a daguerreotype? The daguerreotype was the first commercially successful photographic process (1839-1860s) in the history of photography. Named after the inventor, Louis Jaques Mandé Daguerreo, each daguerreotype is a unique image on a silvered copper plate. It's accurate, detailed and sharp. Numerous portrait studios opened their doors from the 1840s and forward, daguerreotypes were of course very expensive, and only the wealthy could afford to have their portrait taken. But not only people were photographed, daguerreotype was used to record many different subjects, such as natural phenomenas and remarkable events. This web-site is a treasure. Enjoy your weekend at www.daguerreobase.org   It's very addicting! 





No comments: