Monday, August 25, 2014

Do something you never thought you'd do!


The other day one of my scrapbooking friends posted a photo of her sweet daughter on Facebook having her first violin lesson. I got really excited, as to me nothing could be better for a child than learning to play an instrument, and even a classical one. Then her mother told me that she really wanted to learn the violin when she was a kid, but there was no possibilities for that where she lived. Now her daughter got the opportunity instead. My first thought was to write to my friend: But it's not too late! It's never too late, go do it if you still dream about it! I hope she will:) More people should break out and do something they never thought they'd do, something different. I'm not claiming to know anything about others, but I'm totally sure that the feeling you get from mastering something that was unthinkable just a few months earlier, is unbeatable! 

It's not that I've led a boring life before. I've been traveling, photographing, sewing, knitting, scrapbooking, I guess people look at me as a colorful person, but still.... All these things I've been doing for years and years. When I was a kid I was scared of a lot of things. No way I was skiing down the smallest hill. No way I was diving from any height  not even from the edge of the pool. I did gymnastics when I was a little girl, and for some reason I wasn't scared of that. Last year I took it up, together with a friend. We're doing vaults and cartwheels and handstands, and maybe I'll never get to the more complicated elements but it's still great fun. 


Then I asked my friend to teach me how to dive. She used to dive competitively, and got me from 0 cm to 3 m in two hours or so. It didn't look very elegant, but I still can't believe I did it. Jeez, my stomach still turns with excitement every time I dive, it's better than riding a roller coaster!



When several friends on my hockey team wanted to go downhill skiing, I wanted to come too, but I didn't have any equipment or any clue on how to ski. (I know it's a bit embarrassing being Norwegian, but I've only been doing cross country before). But, I borrowed a pair of skis, and together with my friend who was also a beginner, I fell for it! I love skiing! I want to ski all winter. The first session our skilled friends told us we would ski in the hill made for children. They lied. The hill was big enough lol. This picture is taken that first time. The light and color is terrible, but who cares if it's even out of focus? 


I'm not writing this post to brag about things I've done. I'm not any good at any of this, but it's great fun to do something completely different, it brings great joy and energy. I'm slowly learning Illustrator, and I love it, I love being occupied with pretty colors and vintage patterns, but I don't have a plan for my illustrations right now, they're just a hobby in between. I just can't handle all and everything at once. Right now I'm focusing on driving. I have to reach that goal before I can do anything else. The thought of me owning a car, driving around wherever I like is really weird, I don't know why, but it makes me a different person, and I like it a lot. Is there anything you dream of? Go ahead and do it! There's really no reason to wait:)




No comments: